Tuesday, January 6, 2009

don't know how to title this one

Well, I was doing some reading this morning and thinking about an experience I had yesterday that I thought I needed to write down. I have this friend that I have known since high school and over the years our families have become good friends. Although his family is religious, we have not had many conversations about the gospel. This is partly my fault because in high school I didn't fully realize the importance of sharing the truth, and partly that his family has not accepted our invitations to know more about the church. Well, yesterday marked an important time in our friendship because I gave him a Book of Mormon. It already was kinda weird because he still doesn't know how to react to the fact that I'm married.
What prompted me to write about this was the talk by President Monson in last conference that is titled "To Learn, to Do, to Be." Specifically this passage:

"In this vast throng are priesthood power and the capacity to reach out and share the glorious gospel with others. As has been mentioned, we have the hands to lift others from complacency and inactivity. We have the hearts to serve faithfully in our priesthood callings and thereby inspire others to walk on higher ground and to avoid the swamps of sin which threaten to engulf so many. The worth of souls is indeed great in the sight of God. Ours is the precious privilege, armed with this knowledge, to make a difference in the lives of others."

To finish the story, my friend didn't jump for joy when I presented him with the Book of Mormon, he actually made some wry comment about his theological collection. But, I know that it is the word of God and who am I to refrain from sharing it? Anyway, I hope he reads it...even down the road in 5, 10, 20 years, at least I can say when we get to the other side I gave him the opportunity.

4 comments:

Kristin said...

You are such a good example to slackers like me! : ) I hope you are having fun in CO. Your dream was funny. Brax isn't any closer to potty training though...

Carolyn Baggett said...

what a wonderful story.
a single Book of Mormon can go a LONG way in one's life.
can't wait to see ya again!

Unknown said...

Thanks cariss!! on sunday, I was looking at the missionaries and felt that I should ask for a book of mormon to send to a friend that we knew... I thought to myself, okay - if I see the missionaries again I will askfor one... well, I saw them twice and didn't ask - then they they were again right after church RIGHT outside of annica's classroom. I asked for one, but have not written mytestimony in it yet. thanks to you, thats probably on the agenda today. Have a great day! thanks again!

Ashley said...

Carissa! You just inspire me so much! You are such an awesome person! I know that someday what you did will make a difference in his life.